There seems to be a lot of unanswered questions when it comes to choosing marketing companies and what is right for your business.
To make it easier I have come up with “The 8 Things You Should Know Before You Select A Marketing Consultant”
1. Make sure you click with the person: They will be getting inside knowledge about your business so trust is vital for it to work.
2. Check what their background is and what industries they have worked with to ensure they are right for your business.
3. Phone past clients if you have to: Personal contact will get truthful answers.
4. Check to see if they are interested in learning about your business rather than invoicing. (We make our clients fill in a 10 page questionnaire which gives us insight into their business so we can create complete and focused marketing solutions which are related to their business and not some template. we get some looks at first but it creates a professional image).
5. If clear and measurable goals are not mentioned at the initial meeting, walk out: All I mean from this a marketing plan is only a plan if there are not systems in place to help achieve the sales/marketing goals so deal with companies that want to create results for you.
(Examples: use unique phone number on radio adverts to measure results).
6. Ask the company for creative ideas and cost effective ways to achieve your goals.
7. Have they contacts within the media? (This will make it easier if media buying is required for advertising and also with the circulation of press releases)
8. Finally Marketing companies will work better for you if you sign them up for 12 month contracts but don’t forget to negotiate as term contracts give you better control over pricing.
I hope this is of benefit and just remember marketing is all about connecting your customers with your business and you should know your customers better than anyone.